Manual Server Selection:
There are two options when in Manual Server Selection mode – by geolocation or by ping.
By geolocation, you can select a particular server or select "Choose Best" for the region you are interested in using. wtfast will dynamically choose the best performing wtfast server for you in this case. Alternatively, you can choose "by Ping", in which the menu will display the server name, the ping and data loss.
When available, always select (Choose Best). In most cases, there are multiple servers at each location. When you choose a server in Texas, Los Angeles, Germany, wherever, make sure to always pick the top (Choose Best) option, this will pick the best performing wtfast server available at that time. Your connection to each wtfast server may change over time, (Choose Best) helps to ensure your connection to that location is always optimal.
For example, Australian users might see good results connecting through California, while EU users might get better results connecting through Boston/NY.
If you would like to try different wtfast servers, check the "Manual Server Selection" box, and you will be shown a list of recommended servers to choose from. If you would like to choose from ALL wtfast servers, after you click "Manual Server Selection", a new checkbox will appear, "Show All Servers".
On the Network drop-down menu, select "Manually Customize Network Route". Please follow this best practices to choose your server manually.
How to select a server manually
- Pick a wtfast server close to where you live
- This will often help significantly to reduce latency, flux and spikes while you are playing your favorite game.
- If you do not know where your game server is located, this is a safe option to pick.
- In wtfast, if you select "All Servers", there is also a "Sort by Ping" option so you can see the wtfast servers with the lowest ping to you.
- Pick a wtfast server close to where your game server is.
- Choosing a server close to you will give you a better general reduction for ping, flux and spikes while you are playing versus #2.
- If you are unsure of where your game server is located, an estimate of its location is provided on the wtfast statistics window. This estimate is provided using MaxMind geolocation, it is not guaranteed to be accurate.
- For best accuracy, we recommend asking the game provider or a friend with some technical skills for the actual game server location.
- Pick a wtfast server by Ping.
- This option will sort all servers by ping and data loss.
- At the top of the menu, there is a "Choose Best" option.
- Use this feature as the wtfast intelligent network will process all the information to select the best server or your game.
The connection from your computer to the game server is a complicated thing.
If you find that wtfast is not getting you good results "out of the box", we recommend trying to connect through a different region to see if this helps improve your outcomes. We're also here to help set you up for success in any way we can.